1 lb Cavatappi, cooked aldente
1 3/4 C. reserved pasta water
3 1/2 C. Whole milk
8 Tbsp salted butter
2 C. + 1/4 C. Sharp cheddar cheese
8/9 slices Land O lakes yellow American Cheese (Deli sliced)
1/2 C. + 2 Tbsp grated REAL Parmesan Cheese (not Kraft)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Goya Adobo Seasoning
1 C. Italian style breadcrumbs
- Pre heat oven to 350° and lightly grease a 12×9 casserole or baking dish.
- Cook pasta as directed on the box and be sure to salt generously. Pasta is unforgiving when not salted correctly at boiling point.
- Being sure to reserve the pasta water first, drain the pasta and bring back to your pot. On low heat, add only 1 1/2 cups of the pasta water and all of the other ingredients, except for the Parmesan cheese. (reserve 1/4 C cheddar for the topping)
- Stir frequently (as to not allow the cheeses to sink and stick to the bottom) until smooth and fully melted. The mixture should be watery and soupy looking. Feel free to add more pasta water if its too thick.
- Now add the Parmesan cheese. Parmesan cheese thickens as it melts and cools so be sure that your mixture is not to dry. Taste and adjust adobo seasoning or salt to your liking.
- Transfer mixture to casserole dish, top with bread crumbs and remaining cheddar and parmesan cheese. Bake 40 minutes or until bubbling. Cool slightly to set before serving.